Earth Day is an annual event, which is celebrated on 22 April. Events and demonstrations in 193 countries highlight support for environmental protection.
On Earth Day 2016, 195 countries signed the Paris Agreement, a treaty which aims to protect Earth’s climate.
From Earth Day 2016: “This Earth Day and beyond, let’s make big stuff happen. Let’s plant 7.8 billion trees for the Earth. Let’s divest from fossil fuels and make cities 100% renewable.”
In honour of the day, I put together a selection of quotations about our planet.
10 Quotes About Earth
- How can we be so arrogant? The planet is, was, and always will be stronger than us. We can’t destroy it; if we overstep the mark, the planet will simply erase us from its surface and carry on existing. ~Paulo Coelho
- A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children. ~John James Audubon
- Environmentalists have long been fond of saying that the sun is the only safe nuclear reactor, situated as it is some ninety-three million miles away. ~Stephanie Mills
- Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. ~Theodore Roosevelt
- Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. The Earth is the only world known so far to harbour life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand. ~Carl Sagan
- Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed. ~Mahatma Gandhi
- You can’t be suspicious of a tree, or accuse a bird or a squirrel of subversion or challenge the ideology of a violet. ~Hal Borland
- There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. We are all crew. ~Marshall McLuhan
- Water and air, the two essential fluids on which all life depends, have become global garbage cans. ~Jacques-Yves Cousteau
- I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. ~E.B. White
If you want to learn how to write a book, join our Writers Write course.
If you enjoyed this post, you may want to read: